Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Best of Times

I've been thinking a lot about my return to the states lately. It needs to happen because I've already spent money on graduate school and I should just finish, but the idea of living in the states again with the same lifestyle I had before makes me want to cry.

Why, you ask?

Because, I love the adventures I experience here, the people I've befriended, the things I'm learning about myself, the kisses from Kinder kids, and even the challenges. It's just so great. And I honestly believe these last few months have been some of the best ever.

Why, you ask?

Let me show you:

Photobucket
I've laughed my way through Tandem Bike Rides
A group of us went to Yeoudio Park one Sunday afternoon. We started with a picnic lunch from pita time, I talked my way through a Frisbee game, and then we all went on a tandem bike ride. Heidi and I chose each other as partners, perhaps, sure that the other would be capable. Turns out, neither of us were capable. We spent the entire hour laughing hysterically at our ineptitude. We couldn't master the art of steering, it took us ten countdowns to ever start, we couldn't pedal ourselves up the smallest hills, we were wearing skirts not conducive to modesty on a bike ride, we got stuck on a path that ended, rode through a large concert, we're passed by babies using training wheels. An oh yeah, we ran into a woman. But the fact is we laughed. We laughed hard. And perhaps we laughed the hardest or longest I've laughed in Korea yet.


Photobucket
I've been placed on a fat person's boat
Again a group of us ventured to Yeoudio Park but this time for a boat ride in the swan boats. We split into three groups of four people and were eager to begin our journey. The first two groups got in their boats: one a swan, one a duck. And then our time came. My group--Reuben, Heidi, Duncan, and I--got in a swan boat and watched the man grimace the whole time. As soon as we were all settled, the boat must have looked unstable because we were moved to what became affectionately known as "the fat people's boat." It was a grand time after the duck boat became ours to traverse the river in. We beat another boat in a race by a landslide, Duncan ran over a buoy (or in his South African accent, a boy), we threw sticks and made splashes at boat number 2, Reuben and Heidi serenaded us with "I'm on a boat," and the whole time our flag--in the form of a yellow umbrella--was held high.


Photobucket
I've beaten people up at Suwon Folk Village
Days off are limited in Korea, so when you get them you embrace them. And embrace them we did. Reuben, Heidi, and I headed to Suwon Folk Village to look a bit at what old time Korea was like: you know commoners' houses, nobleman's houses, other houses that I didn't really look to closely at. There was also the wishing tree where Reuben and I wished for significant others and Heidi wished for new friends. Oh and one couldn't forget the contraption that was used to stop bed wetting or the manure spreading buckets. We also watched a tight rope show and a death-defying horse show. Oh and of course in the nobleman's house (I believe) there was a court yard filled with torture devices for those that were...well...being tortured. I of course had to take the opportunity to try one and Reuben became the unwilling participant...bliss.


Photobucket
I've joined an impromptu dance party to celebrate Buddha
Well Buddha's birthday is a big deal here. Lanterns line the streets, parades are announced, and a vacation day is given. We journeyed to the final ceremonies in Insadong one Sunday night to watch what was a spectacular parade followed by performances from the parade participants. Some of the things they could do were astounding but after a time it got old. We went to a coffee shop to watch the finale from a window and were impressed by the dance party that began breaking out in the street. Ashley, Ben, and I ran to join in and spent the next twenty minutes sweating in the streets as we were grabbed by Koreans for dance sessions, paraded through countless congo lines, had soju poured on us, were filmed or photographed by an abundance of Koreans, and laughed our heads off! At one point, I even got to be the rope in a tug of war session between two old Korean men..if only the knew how bad my dancing skills really were. At the end of the night, Ashley and I had two new--and drunk--friends (pictured). Sure, it was Buddha's Birthday and you could accuse us of worshiping him as our non-dancing friends did, but nothing about dancing in a street with soju flying makes me think Budhha and furthermore my heart is trained on God's.


Photobucket
I've went white water rafting with awesome friends
A band of four gals travelled down to Youngwol (remember the bus story) to go white water rafting. The rapids were small which bothered me little, but the view was astounding. Heidi pointed out that there were seven different shades of mountains to be seen. The boat guide--we dubbed Pablo--was a riot (and may have lost a shoe). And the Korean boys that joined us were good for some kicks and giggles too. Plus, it was a first day with Anna...and now there will be thousands more.


Photobucket
I've had lunch with an ambassador
Okay so maybe I didn't even talk to him at this lunch but that doesn't stop the fact that the ambassador for Papua New Guinea took a photo with our group and treated us to food galore. He and another friend--Holly--were leaving Korea for new adventures and our church celebrated with a group lunch. While I'm sure many are sad to see the ambassador leave, I'm much sadder to know that Holly and her ceramic cat Judy have had to leave our midst. Goodbyes are hard but the moments before are more than worth it.


Photobucket
I've been embarrassed at 고래벙
Noreabang seems to be the thing to do when people leave, or there is a night without plans, or a group gets together, or really anytime at all. However, my musical abilities are sadly lacking and my bravado fails in these private rooms with giant TVs telling us the words to songs. My goal in life is to completely rock out at one of these sessions before I leave, but for now I turn red when I'm forced into singing some song and others point out that I'm doing it. Maybe I'd be so much better if I could rock out to High School Musical...but alas they're not available. Despite my embarrassment, I still enjoy seeing the other rock out: Reuben and his air guitar, Holly and her hair whips, Anna and her rapping skills, and Heidi's raspy voice crooning. Oh and who could forget Dawna and her bellowing of all songs, rocking dance moves, encouragement to sing, Korean song choices, and a thousand other things that just remembering make me miss her more.



Seriously after seeing these photos and hearing small bits of the story, how could you doubt that Korea is filled with epic adventures and great friends to share them with?

Thankfully, I've got some time left and there aren't any goodbyes for another 20 days, meaning there's plenty of memories to make.



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Kara, this really blessed my heart to read and remember the adventures (the ones I've been on!). It fills me with bittersweet memories of my own as I really begin to digest the concept of leaving. But remember when you do leave that it will be a step of faith, just as it is for me. Love you lots, Kara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really loving your account of our tandem biking experience. Well put.

    ReplyDelete