Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Not Of, But In...?

Be Warned, Controversial Post in the Making

So this past week I've been thinking a lot about the Bible verse that tells us we should be in the world but not of the world, which I believe is somewhere in the middle of John.

And just what exactly does that mean?

I think to begin with, I have to explain why my thoughs have been on this verse (and a few others) so much these past days. And it all starts with the culture that is ESL teachers in Korea. A friend described the ESL teacher lifestyle to me before I came as being similiar to a college fraternity or sorority but oftentimes with much older people. And upon extensive facebook and blogger stalking, I discovered this was pretty much true. Most ESL teachers it seemed spent a large amount of their time in Korea going to bars, drinking all sorts of alcholic beverages, going to clubs, and more. All things I have never really done and to be honest haven't ever wanted to do. I mean can you really imagine me on a dance floor?

And so, I knew about this culture long before I came and was prepared to completely ignore it. I know now that my thought then was that I'd find a group of people my age at church who were just like me and therefore I'd easily ignore the stereyotypical ESL teacher lifestyle. A thought I've now learned is completely ridiculous and based way too much on the bubble I lived in within Northwestern College and within Camp Sonshine.

I've discovered that a lot of the people my age that I've met at various churches, all drink. Now, I know this is a controversial Christian topic with opinions taking all forms but I think for the purposes of this blog I need to make it clear that I do not think drinking is sinful. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying a glass of wine or sipping a strawberry margarita. Nothing. Though, in case any of my wonderful teens are reading, I want to make it clear that I do think it's wrong for those underage (Romans 13:1). And I also think it is wrong to let your mind be affected by alchol in any way; for some people that's half drink and for others that's 4. I think it's important to note I'm not saying it's wrong to simply be drunk, I'm saying I think it's wrong to even be tipsy.

(Now as a quick aside, I hope I can make it clear that these are my opinions and I know that people have different ones. And I think that if we all step back and make sure we've sought God's counsel on the right and wrong of this issue and are satisfied we have, there's no point in arguing or judging.)

So all of this to say that last Saturday night I was invited to a brewery. This is somewhere that I have never been and never before had a desire to go. But yet, I was quite lonely this weekend after spending it completely alone and so I accepted the invitation and found myself sitting in a Canadian Brewery in Korea. At this brewery, I was introduced to many different flavors of beer and drank my first ever glass of Beer Cider as well. And over these drinks I was able to enjoy great conversation with several other ESL teachers. Much later that evening I allowed a few drops of the disgusting drink of soju to cross my tounge as well while watching one of the other ESL teachers get us invited into a most ridiculous club/restaurant/bar type place. At around 2:30am, I left the party to head home knowing that my mind was clear and I was exhausted. After a few hours of sleep I awoke the next morning and forced myself to attend church where I was blessed to hear another incredibly awesome service at SIBC.

So the question you ask?

Why do I feel so uneasy?

I've been asking myself this for days. On the taxi ride home that evening I started to feel a bit sick to my stomach (though much of this I account to the fact that I ate perhaps half a meal all of Saturday) and ever since that night I've been wondering what is right and what is wrong.

And that has brought me full circle to "in the world, but not of the world."

I've been so wrong these last few years to limit myself to only going to Christian places and only having Christian friends. I've put myself into what people have jokingly called a bubble with my peers. And because of that I've missed a great opportunity for ministry. Just because someone does not think the same way I do, does not mean that there cannot be a friendship. Rather, it means there SHOULD be a friendship so that there can be evangelism.

I think the above statement is actually quite obvious and to be honest, I've been thinking it for a while. But what gets me even more is when I think about being in the world with other Christians.

I know that I've been guilty of judging fellow Believers and not understanding why their limits are different than mine (and don't get me wrong I think the Bible is pretty cut and dry on a lot of sins). And I've been searching for fellow Believers like those I've met at camp (which ironically enough most people live a very different life outside of those summer months) but I really haven't found them.

But my point? That doesn't mean I can't be learning from them or that they love Jesus any less!

And it most certainly is not my place to judge.

So my commitment? I'm going to keep seeking God's truth. Because to be honest, I haven't fully figured it out. I'm still struggling to understand what's right and wrong and how to not feel uneasy. But I do know this, that for as long as those people will have me, I'll be their friend. Because they're pretty dang awesome. And I'll do what I think is right and they'll do what they think is right and together we'll grow in God.

Some Interesting Facts That Have Crossed My Mind While Thinking About All This:

1. If I drank one beer a weekend (which is 5$ a beer), I would spend 260$
a year.
2. If I bought breakfast at McDonalds (which I like better and is a full
meal) each week, I would spend $156 a year.
3. Second-hand smoke is deadly.
4. Romans 12:2, John 2:1-12, Proverbs 23:29-35, Galatians 5:21


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Yes, this is definitely a post-Christian college and camp moment. I went through a similar debate and wound up realizing that the other side is not so bad! God will use your new friendships and experiences. Bravo to you for busting out of the bubble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the post Kara. This is something that I had to discover when moving here as well. Except well, as you know, I didn't discover it as quickly as you. :P (I'm the 'friend that described', yeah?)

    Anyway, it's awesome that you recognize it, and yeah, definitely is different than living in the 'bubbles' we placed ourselves in back in the States. And I agree that it's important to keep those non-Christian friendships. I've met many opportunities to share God's love through friendships like that. :)

    You're doing awesome. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete