Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Funny Stories TWO

I promise I'm in the process of writing an epic post about a Busan trip a group of us took but the picture formats are proving difficult. So to appease the masses--read the two people that asked when I'd post again--I give you more funny stories that have recently occurred.

One
Sung-Joo is a new boy in our class. He is also a baby. A big baby. In fact, his constant temper tantrums make me completely reevaluate my love of small children. Every day he cries at least ten times. He also doesn't speak a drop of English nor is he learning it well. Therefore, when he cries in my classes it goes on and on and on and on and on and on. Usually, I ignore him completely in hopes that he'll realize that his tantrums do nothing to get my attention. Today, he took it further ad fell to the floor and screamed louder. In an effort to save my ear drum, I imitated him. Hoping he'd see how ridiculous he looked. I also repeatedly said, "I'm a baby, I'm a baby." Now, whenever Sung-Joo cries the class points at him and yells "baby." I'm sure in America I'd be fired, here it's working and we're keeping it. BABY!

Two
While teaching the five year olds to count to ten and recognize the written numbers we played a game where fish had the numbers written on them and they fed them to a cardboard shark I made. I had my hand through the shark (sort of like a puppet) and would grab their hand while they fed the number fish. It was love for all the kids, they found it hilarious and tried to earn more fish (by correctly identifying the number). When it was Ho-Chun's turn to feed the shark, before the shark could "bite" him...Ho-Chun bit the shark. Seriously, my shark has teeth marks.

Three
Also, while teaching the five-year-olds their numbers, I realized how much "six" sounds like "sex" when Ji-Ho started screaming "I have sex now" over and over in the hallway at me during parent pick-up. Apparently, "sex" is a universal word because every Korean in the room stared at him and then at me. I didn't realize my face could get so red.

Four
While riding the subway the train often stops suddenly and people are jerked around. One morning, while getting off at the super posh Apgujon stop, it also stopped suddenly. A woman dressed to the nines in high heels,a business suit, subtle Korean make-up, and probably five different types of plastic surgery was not prepared for this stop and she completely fell. When she fell she gave a typical Korean scream. And collectively the subway car returned this scream. She laid there, people literally stepped over her to get of at the stop (the subway car was overflowing with people), I didn't see or hear anyone offer help, and I being the typical obnoxious foreigner laughed: laughed quite audibly too. I'm sure I'm hated, but HECK that was hilarious!

Five
Minseo used to say "no I love Kara." In an effort to teach her the correct English I taught her to say, "I don't love Kara." She still thoroughly enjoys saying it correctly and I still laugh. While standing next to Minseo's homeroom teacher from last year (who still says Minseo is her favorite student), Minseo decided to use this new English ability differently than normal: "I don't love gym teacher, I love Kara." Maybe I should teach them only nice things?

Sex
While in Busan, I was on a beach talking with Duncan. Duncan likes to be mean--read he likes to pick on people which is why I like him. And he started proclaiming girls can't punch. Knowing I was more than capable of such a feet, I asked if I could punch him. He agreed. As I prepared for the punch, Duncan inserted metal rods into his shirt--read, I'm lying. And when I punched him he curled over in pain--read, didn't even flinch. I immediately withdrew my hand in pain. And dealt with it hurting the rest of the weekend. When I went to the doctor three days later, not only was the finger broken but the knuckle was dislocated (or rather knocked out of alignment). After, I cried like a baby in front of the doctor and nurse (hey now, three shots and a popped in to place manuever hurts). The doctor also wouldn't let me leave before he taught me how to punch.

Photobucket
Yeah, not only did I go on a rock climbing -ish escapade and knock it out of alignment again less than a week after getting it fixed, I went bowling the day I got that second fix. Only hours, after promising my doctor I'd be careful so I didn't have to get a plaster cast...I don't think he understands my desire to fully embrace ever moment I get in Korea.


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. "Sex
    While in Busan, I was on a beach talking with Duncan"

    Really, that's your lead in for your "sex" headline? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You would call that out.

    ReplyDelete